Monday, July 21, 2008

That's What Makes It Brave

For the last month or so, our 3-year old, formerly champion sleeper has been given us fits at bedtime. According to her active toddler imagination everything from sharks (who can not only live on dry land, but in little girl's dressers) shadows, and monsters are occupying her room at night. Her solution is to sleep in our room -- our solution is for her NOT to sleep in our room.
This impasse has lead to many hours of crying and screaming (some of which has been done by the child). As nerve-wrackingly frustrating as this has been, I do know this is just a phase and 'it too shall pass.'
At the heart of the matter is what trips up many of us -- the dreaded "C" word -- "Change". Recently, dd was relieved of her sippy cup which she religiously sucked on as a way to lull herself to sleep. Soon thereafter, we became her sippy cup.
But, as is often the case with substitutes, they just won't do --not these substitutes anyway.
As I watch my my kid go through her own struggle, it makes me wonder about my own.
I look at the ways that I wrestle with fear, change, and security in my so-called grownup life
In what ways do I retreat from those things which appear scary but over which the Word tells us we already have victory?
What necessary changes am I reluctant to make because I'm in a place that is comfortable -- though not fully satisfying?
My little one is slowly making her way back to her room --she is now sleeping in the hall (NO! you Still cannot sleep in our room) -- and during daylight hours valiantly claims that tonite she will sleep in her own bed.
We're still waiting -- just as our Father is waiting on us to trust in him more fully.
So as I watch her work her way through I realize that what I tell her also holds true for me: "I know it's seems scary -- but that's what makes it brave".

No comments: