Friday, August 1, 2008

Opps into Aha!

It's amazing how -- if we allow it -- God can take our mistakes and turn them ino miracles -- even mini ones.
Perhaps you've taken a wrong turn and discovered your new favorite bakery or a shortcut you didn't know existed -- maybe that's how you found the neighborhood in which you now reside.
That's what I call turning an oops into an aha.
It's that moment when turning that unexpected corner that you realize that life just may have in store more than you expected.
How exciting is that?!
Sure it's great to make plans, to keep our various houses (financial, spiritual, relational,etc.) in order.
We are, after all, called to be good stewards over all that we have.
But sometimes life throws us a curveball, slips us a mickey -- sometimes we just mess up.
Whether our mistakes are born of inattention, ineptitude, or plain ol' miscalculation -- it can be an opportunity to see beyond what we thought was possible or planned for.
It is a time when God definitively demonstrates: "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us."
How powerful is that -- to have something show up in our lives that we didn't expect and couldn't begin to imagine?
Some of my favorite and most inspirational blogs I've wondered onto 'by accident'.
I'm writing this post at 4:00 am -- awakened more by my bladder than inspiration.
Still, there are times when these moments are not so 'easy'.
When my 3 year old was only 4 months old we found out that I was pregnant -- oops.
Though we planned on having more children I was still lost in the initial postpartum haze and was quite unprepared to do it all again -- so soon.
For a good week I walked around with my bottom jaw dragging the ground.
But, once I came to my senses, so to speak, I realized what an unexpected blessing this was.
Wow -- our daughter would have a sibling quite close in age, her older sister, my stepdaughter, was 18 and away at college.
We would have the other child we wanted -- who was this person God was sending -- what a surprise!
Unfortunately, that pregnancy was not sustainable and was over early on.
As heartbreaking as that was -- I still regard those weeks between conception and loss as a brief shining moment when I was able to glimpse what could be beyond what I could see.
Don't get me wrong that loss stays with me -- but it has not dulled my vision.
For even in loss He can give you strength and vision that you didn't know you had or would even need.
It can simply be a bridge to the next place -- the higher place.
So keep making plans and putting things in order -- that is what you are supposed to do.
But, The next time you get tripped up, try to keep not just an open mind, but an open spirit.
Remember, your plans are good, but His are perfect.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Do you have any oops turned to aha moments?
I welcome your stories/comments!

No comments: